Boys and Men of Color Career Summit in Oakland
LeadersUp is pre-training approximately 600 young men (ages 18-29) for pre-scheduled, on-site hiring interviews. Approximately 1 out of 3 young men will receive immediate job offers at the Summit. Employers include: Noah’s Bagels, Starbucks, Hilton, Macy’s, and Palecek, among others pending confirmation. All positions are locally based.
Registration is open for four hour “Winning in the Workplace” training labs, which are required for access to pre-scheduled interviews. These labs take place in designated safe spaces and are led by professionally trained staff from LeadersUp. More labs may be scheduled based on demand, so please check the registration link below for additions. Note: There is no minimum number of men your organization must recruit for labs.
Oakland: 7/14, 7/15 Register Here
Berkeley: 7/12 Register Here
Young adults also have the option to register for labs by texting “BMOC” to 95577
Lab curriculum includes: resume review, mock interviews, and job readiness skills to prepare young men for pre-scheduled, on-site interviews on July 21st. (More curriculum info attached).
Recommended Guidelines for Participation:
- Strong peer support: LeadersUp recommend your organization’s young people attend a lab together on the same day.
- Strong staff support: Your organization’s staff should attend the lab with young people (ideally with a 1:6 ratio).
- Youth commit to attending Summit: Your organization must ensure young people attend their pre-scheduled interviews at the July 21st Summit.
- Coordination with LeadersUp: If your organization plans to bring any young people to a training session, please contact Devon Miner (email@example.com) to coordinate details.
Contact: Devon Miner (firstname.lastname@example.org) can answer any additional questions.
West Oakland Job Resource Center
The West Oakland Job Resource Center (WOJRC) is a place to learn about and prepare for careers in the building and construction trades.
We are recruiting individuals who are insterested in applying to the construction trades apprenticeship programs, such as the
- Operation Engineers
- Plumbers and Pipefitters
- Sprinklefitters and others
Apprentices can earn$13-$25 per hour plus benefits.
The WOJRC will not only help you get a job, but into a career. We will help you learn lifelong skills in building and constuction, while earning wages. The WOJRC also screens individuals for employment opportunities with the City of Oakland, Port of Oakland, Oakland Army Base construction project, and other construction projects.
THE WOJRC is a joint project of the City of Oakland, employers, unions and community organizations.
- Can pass a drug test (including marijuana)
- Have at least an eighth grade reading and math level (preferably GED or High School diploma)
- Have documents proving legal eligibility to work in the United States
- Proof of Oakland residency for 6 months prior to registering with us, AND
- Have a valid California Driver License or California ID
If you don’t meet these criteria, come by and we will be glad to give you information about agencies that can help you.
General orientation to the construction trades and apprenticeships held the second and fourth Tuesday of each month.
Click here to find this month’s workshops and orientations.
Pre-Apprenticeship Test Preparation
WOJRC also holds test preparation assistance for apprenticeship exams every Tuesday 5:00 to 7:00 pm at 1801 Adeline Street, Room 210 Oakland, CA 94607
Instructors Eva Clark/Matthew Tasby
Call 510 419-0509 to register.
One-on-one Career Counseling and guidance
- Construction Contractors
- Apprenticeship Programs
- Pre-Apprenticeship Training Programs
- Other Employment Services
For transitional jobs and other non-construction opportunities…
Come visit us!
We hold information workshops of Oakland residents interested in building and construction trade careers on the second and fourth Tuesday of every month.
We also hold specialized workshops geared towards women and workshops for the various construction trade apprenticeship programs
For more information, call (510) 419-0509, fax (510) 419-0503 or visit us at 1801 Adeline Street, Room 211 (2nd floor of the West Oakland Library), Oakland, CA 94607.
Source: City of Oakland 2016